#TheNotSoGreatOutdoors

***Today's earlier post was pure garbage.  I'm sorry.  I could have done better.  The problem is that I had places to be and just couldn't get my act together.  To clarify a few things regarding several messages I received from some of my beautiful friends:
1. That post was not intended to be about any one specific person.
2. I'm extremely happy in my current situation.  Would it be nice to have someone watching              movies in bed with with me right now rather than me doing this alone? Of course it would.  However, I had a fun night out with my girlfriends tonight.  No complaints.
3.  Now that I live in a New City, I've really come out of my shell/comfort zone.  No complaints.
4.  I really really love you all and have some great friends through CB.  Blessed. ***

Okay, so onto the camping story.  Let's start at the beginning.  I was about 20 years old...possibly even 19.  Thanks to God gracing me with an older sister that I basically share a face with, I was able to go to bars and clubs with her ID anytime I wanted to.  This was somewhere around 2001 in Philadelphia.  There was a club in Philly that I LOVED called Polyesters (found one years later in Vegas).  I liked this places because each floor was a different decade of music. 70's, 80's and "today".
One night I fell in love.  No question.  I saw him and just KNEW I was going to spend the rest of my life with this boy.  His name was Steve and he was about 6'3" blonde hair and blue eyes.  That night was kind of a blur of Smirnoff Ice and Jager (I don't understand how I'm not diabetic today either) but i was certain I found my soulmate.  He even loved Jeff Buckley as much as I did!! We exchanged numbers and made plans to see each other again.

Fast forward one week.  At this point I have my bridesmaids and wedding dress all picked out.  Done deal. I drive down to his apartment so we can go out to dinner or something that clearly left no impression on me because I don't remember.  When I went into his apartment I noticed that it was much cleaner and more feminine that any of the other 22 year old boy apartments I had seen.  It even had a bed spread that looked like a giant doily.   Something a grandmother might have.  At this point in life I'm still naive and I don't think things like, "oh that's a girls bed.  He probably lives with his girlfriend!" Anyway, we left and headed out to wherever the fuck we went in his brand new gorgeous Accord.  **It's pretty frustrating that I don't remember the nights events anymore.** Regardless, we talked daily for the next two or so weeks.  This was pre-unlimited minutes for cell phone days.  He would call my house line and at work.  I was convinced.  I was marrying him.  Done deal.

Two more weeks pass...no responses to my pages or phone messages.  I'm heartbroken.  Devastated.  One day I get a call at work from him.  Told me he had to head to Tennessee because his grandmother died and all that bullshit.  I fell for it.  "Hey! Wanna go camping with me this weekend? I really miss you and think it might be a great time."  "Sure!!" (If i could go back and slap the phone out of my hand I would.)  My good friend Evan tried to warn me that this whole situation was shit and that I in no way should consider this trip.  Well clearly he didn't know Steve was my soulmate and I HAD to go.  The day comes and I drive to middle of nowhere New Jersey to meet him and his friends where I would be leaving my car and hopping into Steve's.  I remember it was cold and raining....but I didn't care.  Did I mention Steve was my soulmate?  When I pulled up I saw this little blonde girl behind the wheel, Steve was shotgun and his buddy Dan was in the back.  I thought nothing of this because Steve was really tall and it seemed plausible that that was the reason for his seat positioning.  After driving for another 30 mins we pull up to the house where the girl lived.  It turned out we needed to get her camping equipment because the Cabins to rent weren't available that early in the season.  As we enter this house I'm floored with what I see.  Dad is passed out in his boxers on the couch.  Natty Ice cans all around him.  Twin brothers about 10 years old running around half naked and dirty smacking each other with wooden spoons and anything else that they can get their hands on.  We go into the kitchen to meet her mom.  Her mom seems well enough.  Between her alternated puffs of her cig and her joint she spoke to us.  Before the mom explained that they had just increased the dog's prescription of Ritalin, the girl introduced her "friend" Dan.  (Weird...I assumed she was dating him) then me as Dan's friend (what what!?!?! no!!! no no no!!!! I'm Steve's soulmate!!) then her boyfriend Steve.  (WHAAAATTTTT??????)  I swear I heard a car crash happen in my head.  What the fuck was this??? He looked right at me and I laughed.  I couldn't speak.  I couldn't even leave.  I had no car, no cell phone signal, no fucking idea where I was and this was def pre-smartphone days.  FUUUUUUUCK! I don't think I spoke for the next 4 hours.  We got to the campsite and pitched the two tents.  Lit a fire...and then the skies opened up.  It was POURING rain.  We all ended up in the same tent until it let up a bit and Steve and his girlfriend hopped into the other tent.  This is when I let Dan have it. "What the fuck is this whole situation?!"  Well he threw Steve right under the bus.  Apparantly the apartment and the car belonged to a girl he worked with that he was cat sitting for.  He'd been dating this girl for months.  He didn't even live in Philadelphia.  I was invited because Dan liked me and wanted Steve to set us up.  Since Dan acknowledged how fucked up this whole situation was, he kindly accepted my rejection.  I remember going for a walk until I found a single bar of service on my Nokia.  I don't remember who I called....but I know I had total word vomit because I was in shock and needed to tell them everything.  Was driven to my car the next day in total silence.  Never spoke to any of them again...nor have I set foot in another campground.

 Only me.    


Comments

  1. Moral of the story is when boys warn you about other boys you REALLY should listen, cause they know what's up :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth! I think I was annoyed cause the guy knew it was fucked up...but went along with it anyway.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts